Friday, October 12, 2007

tiny giants made of tinier giants

Mostly a post for other people:

Bruce, thank you for the heroic link a little while back. I stayed up till 4:30 am watching episodes last night (can't... stop... am about to watch 1x13) and it's helping already with the plot for this season (though I will admit to being a little mixed up about what I remember happening from season 1 versus what's already happened in season 2).

And just as you win some, you lose some--I fear you and I will differ wildly in our reactions to Patrick Smith's latest column, but I for one am glad SOMEone out there is vocalizing the very complaints I have time and again with the present state of airport security, even if there's (sadly) little that can be done to rectify the system (no political incentive, as Mr. Smith points out). I've noticed myself that the security threat level is still "Orange!" over a year after the liquid terror of aught-six, which, what's the point? We will NEVER be at a state of blue or green or whatever on the silly little chart. We might never even see yellow again. It's fear-mongering, meaningless bullsh*t that should be eliminated. Spend your resources on improving high-level intelligence to catch terrorists BEFORE they arrive at the airport, please.

Also, I appreciate the browser recommendations--but Scott, you of all people should know that your fine company stopped supporting MSIE for Macs two versions ago. I actually wouldn't mind having a working version of MSIE 7--it would make my law school/Sharepoint symbiotic experience a lot easier. More pressingly, however, I would like a full updated version of the MS Office suite for Mac OS--they're still retailing the '04 edition, which is quaint, but a little ridiculous considering how often most applications are revamped. You may not have my OS loyalties, but you'll always be tops in my book when it comes to text documents and spreadsheets, so please--return the love?

3 comments:

L said...

I recommend NeoOffice. Personally, I think it's a lot better than MS Office, but maybe that's just its lack of a $400 price tag...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I forgot that you were one of those I-gotta-be-me mac-o-philes. :-)
Given that you are, I don't know that I can give you much help in the browser arena (unless you want to run Windows on your Mac!)...but stay tuned on MacOffice - 2008 is headed your way early in the New Year.
~Scott

Anonymous said...

So many things I could say about the blog entry... so many things.