Thursday, January 18, 2007

it's not unusual to be loved by anyone

Is there a reason that iTunes would send me an "alert" containing news about a Decemberists live EP... and Tom Jones's From the Vaults??? Huh. We appear to have a fraught relationship, iTunes and I.

I killed a silverfish the size of a small car in my bathroom this morning. I still have the heebie jeebies. Add to that the ENORMOUS cockroach that disruped my Music, Copyright & Digital Technology seminar (hereinafter, "music class") and I've had a very buggy day. The cockroach gushed when it was killed. Ickkkkk.

Music class is great, though--I love that I could participate by being able to explain what the Grey Album was and who did it. We also got to listen to snippets of both George Clinton's "Get Off Your Ass and Jam" and N.W.A.'s "100 Miles and Running," for academic comparison purposes (of course) regarding a recent sampling decision by the Sixth Circuit (in effect, "If you sample, get a license").

I've gotta give props to my good ol' college senior advisor, Professor Dunne, because I read enough cases and learned enough about copyright law four years ago to be able to hold my own against those who took copyright law in law school. Campbell v. Acuff-Rose? Newton v. Diamond? That George Harrison lawsuit w/ the Chiffons? Yeah, we were all over it. Anyway, it's shaping up to be a great class, cockroaches notwithstanding.

I've got miles of trusts & estates reading to do before I sleep, so off I go. Even though I've now got "Shit! Goddamn! Get off your ass and jam!" running a pleasant little loop in my head...

No comments: