Thursday, August 10, 2006

oh my, what a wonderful day

Just in case anyone missed the TSA announcement this morning and the associated news articles...

So, if liquid bombs made out of shampoo and hair gel (sounds sticky, not scary) are terrorist de rigeur now, does this mean our days of traveling carry-on only are once and for all over? Because I don't know about you, but I don't have the discretionary income to buy all of my toiletries new every time I travel, only to throw them out before I re-board the plane home. I'm scared to death of losing my bag (even though it's never happened to me, knock frantically on my wooden desk) and I love the convenience of not having to wait forever at the baggage carousel when I'm taking a short trip (like I'm doing this Saturday--oh, the timing, it's exquisite). I also really feel for the travelers who've gotten caught by this new regulation--if it had happened three weeks ago, while I was camping for four days and blissfully free of internet and other forms of news communication, I'd be the one chucking body wash and lotion left and right (or, more probably, biting the bullet and checking my bag). There but for the grace of God, and all.

I know I'm talking about this new rule like it's permanent, and while I'm sure we won't stay at "high" threat level forever, I can certainly see the whole "no liquids" thing taking root even after we're back to our normal "elevated" level, assuming liquid bombs are the threat that the media is making them out to be (which, of course, is a pretty grand assumption). It's also worth noting that you can't take bottled water on your flight anymore (at least, I think that's what they mean, assuming "sterile area" = post-screening airport gate realm), and don't even try to finagle a cup of starbucks or a soda. This pisses me off, honestly. Dehydration is nobody's friend, and it's not like commercial carriers in this day of bankruptcies and cutbacks are falling all over themselves to offer you a beverage. Perhaps now is the time to start a rainy-day fund for my own private jet. Hm. I think I've got a couple quarters lying around...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is made of ridiculous. And where is my next flight to, pray tell? Oh, just England. Because a 2 hour wait plus a 9 hour flight with no water or hand lotion will be such fun, let alone with no books or knitting or iPod.

At least British Air has good in-flight programming. Woe.

Anonymous said...

airlines should provide lotion and such for travelers. maybe teach the flight crew the process of making these supposed macgyver-esque bombs. i mean how much hair gel and toothpaste would it take to make a bomb anyway? geez, it's like anything can be made into a bomb these days...

Anonymous said...

I have to rant on this, but I'll do the majority of it on my side. All I'll say here is that they aren't worried about shampoo and hair gel... they're worried about what might be in the bottles. I mean, if I can refill a Gatorade bottle with water, someone with hostile intent can refill a tube of toothpaste with something volatile. With 50-350 passengers per flight, I'm glad they aren't taking chances.