Monday, August 21, 2006

yours to keep if you want me

OCI began today--that's "on-campus interviewing," for the uninitiated. I ranked 50 firms and received twenty 20-min screening interviews over the course of the next two weeks, the goal of each being a half-day callback at the firm's HQ. I only had one today, but I have three tomorrow and five (!) on Wednesday, so it's not all fun and games, believe me. This being a somewhat public blog, I don't want to talk about the OCI process in any more than vague terms--suffice it to say that I'll report back with good news and, probably, slide bad news under the rug (perhaps I'll wave my hands and distract you with the Flaming Lips or Little Miss Sunshine or something). I'm getting a lot of positive support from The Boy, The Career Counselor, and The Mom (though that last one is genuinely chipper about everything I do in law school, having little or no knowledge of the conventional wisdom surrounding any of this, so I take it all willingly but with many grains of salt). I'm not sure I'll believe any of their optimism till I get a callback, though. Supposedly Firm #1 will let us know by the end of the week.

So, I wait. Twiddle the thumbs, casually research tomorrow's firms, watch a Grey's Anatomy rerun and an old ep of Alias that Friend Matt zapped to me (just what I need, another TV show to get hooked on, albeit a cancelled one). Fortunately, the next round of interviews doesn't start till after lunch, so I can take a somewhat leisurely morning and drink my tea out of a mug rather than a to-go cup. More than anything, though, I really, really hope I stop sublimating my stress into physical ailments, because I feel as though someone has jabbed a letter opener into the right side of my neck and has begun to twist it, slowly, every time I try to tilt my head to the left.

Yeah, alright, smartass, I won't try to tilt my head to the left anymore. But maybe a sound, peaceful night's sleep will help. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of well-wishers who have little or no knowledge of the conventional... whatever. I'm with Mom on this one. :-)